General

User Voice

The Scrum Guide is a community website, created and maintained by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber. Via this User Voice forum, you may propose changes to the website, the Scrum Guide itself, or engage in discussion about suggestions others have made. This User Voice is read and supported by the Scrum Guide creators.

Periodic reviews of these suggestions inform the product backlog for the Scrum Guide, but final decisions on changes and functionality are Ken and Jeff's.

User Voice is read-only while new Scrum Guide is under development

User Voice is in read-only mode while Jeff and Ken create the next release, based on your suggestions in the User Voice, input from the overall Scrum community, and to meet advanced applications of Scrum that are either being made or have been requested.

1. Remove estimating and re-estimating from Sprint Cancellation section

In the 3rd paragraph of the section "Cancelling a Sprint" is stated:

"When a Sprint is cancelled, any completed and “Done” Product Backlog items are reviewed. If part of the work is potentially releasable, the Product Owner typically accepts it. All incomplete Product Backlog Items are re-estimated and put back on the Product Backlog. The work done on them depreciates quickly and must be frequently re-estimated."

Estimating half complete work and putting it back on the backlog is a bad practice, which is seen in immature Scrum teams who struggle to complete items within the Sprint timebox. So let's not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hold  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Don't prescribe exactly when the sprint goal is set during sprint planning

Last paragraph of section "Topic One: What can be done this Sprint?" says: "After the Development Team forecasts the Product Backlog items it will deliver in the Sprint, the Scrum Team crafts a Sprint Goal. "

Change to: "During Sprint Planning, the Scrum Team also crafts a Sprint Goal."

Rationale for the change: No need to prescribe that the goal should be set AFTER deciding which PBIs to deliver. In many cases it will make sense to set the goal first, and then decide which PBIs make sense to achieve that goal. And that's even implied at the beginning of…

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Clarify what the primary function of the Product Owner role is to avoid unintended proxies

Clarify what the primary function of the Product Owner role is to avoid unconscious proxies

Clarify: "The Product Owner is responsible for maximizing the value of the product and the work of the Development Team."

This sentence appears to skim over the primary function of the PO role in six words combined with a secondary, more tactical concern that mixes messages.

Suggest: "The Product Owner is a business decision making role responsible for maximizing the value of the product being developed using Scrum. At a tactical level, the Product Owner may seek to maximise the value of the Development Team's…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Change Scrum Master to Scrum Guide...or something...

Wanted' Scrum Master to lead our Three Ring Circus, or, Is the term “Scrum Master” a Misnomer that needs to be updated?
    Edit article
    Published on May 9, 2017
    LikeWanted' Scrum Master to lead our Three Ring Circus, or, Is the term “Scrum Master” a Misnomer that needs to be updated?0Comment0ShareShare Wanted' Scrum Master to lead our Three Ring Circus, or, Is the term “Scrum Master” a Misnomer that needs to be updated?0
    Douglas Bock
    Douglas Bock
    Agile Business Analyst / Product Owner
    "The Show Must Go On"...must it, really? Let's save our servant leaders! If you visit http://www.indeed.com/ today…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Like 'Commitment' changed to 'Forecast' can 'Estimate' change to 'Size'?

First let me be clear, I'm not a fan of #NoEstimates. I see a lot of value in teams Estimating product backlog items. When size comes into play, they will find they do not all have the same perspective on the scope and complexity of the product backlog item.

However often teams are not comfortable providing estimates because other parts of the organization are considering them as given planning.

The word estimates has a historic meaning in waterfall projects, and is part of project management methods like Prince2 and PMI. Historically it is considered something you can and should get…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Clarify the Scrum Master role in the Sprint Retrospective

In the section on the "Sprint Retrospective", the last sentence appears to be grammatically incomplete. It reads...."The Scrum Master participates as a peer team member in the meeting from the accountability over the Scrum process". Were some words accidentally left out? Should it have read like this....."from the perspective of accountability over the Scrum process"?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Plan for implementing improvements visible in the forthcoming sprint

Last paragraph of section "Sprint Retrospective" says: "By the end of the Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team should have identified improvements that it will implement in the next Sprint."

Change to: "By the end of the Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team should have identified improvements that it will implement in the next Sprint. Improvements should be added to the Sprint Backlog"

And

the first paragraph of section “Product Backlog” says: “The Sprint Backlog is the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint, plus a plan for delivering the product Increment and realizing the Sprint Goal.

Change to: “The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Clarify whether the ScrumMaster is active in development or not

Conflicting opinions have been expressed (both in our team and in Scrum Alliance articles) as to whether the ScrumMaster is also active in development (e.g. in writing code). It would be useful to have a clear answer (yes, no, unspecified) so that we can stop discussing what Scrum is and get down to whether it is true-Scrum that we want or something resembling it.

https://www.scrumalliance.org/community/articles/2013/february/the-case-for-a-technical-scrummaster

https://www.scrumalliance.org/community/articles/2013/december/playing-the-scrummaster-role

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. A fourth Daily Scrum question

One of my Scrum Master mentors, or some Scrum article from the distant past recommended this 4th Daily Scrum question (that I now always use):

Did I discover any requirements (new or existing) that the Scrum Team should be made aware of?

Sometimes a developer may realize when looking at a particular item in the Sprint Backlog that they could knock off another item in the Product Backlog that is not in the Sprint if they spent an incrementally small amount of additional time. There is a natural tendency to not want to mention it because of perceived (and real)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. revise one word in the Sprint Planning section

I see what I believe as an incorrect word in the Topic One subsection of Sprint Planning. The last sentence has "The Sprint Goal is an objective that will be met within the Sprint through the implementation of the PRODUCT Backlog", when PRODUCT should be SPRINT. Agree or disagree?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Move "Each increment is additive" from "Definition of Done" to "Increment"

The section "Definition of Done" includes the following paragraph:

"Each Increment is additive to all prior Increments and thoroughly tested, ensuring that all Increments work together."

Looking at the text preceding and following it, this paragraph looks a bit out of place. Also, unlike the other bits related to the Increment in this section, it does not refer to "Done" at all.

I propose moving it to the "Increment" section because it is part of the definition of what an Increment is.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add opportunity enabler verbiage to last question of Daily Standup

Add this verbiage to the last question of the Daily Standup: "..., or see any opportunity enablers that if implemented can improve team performance to meet the Sprint Goal"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Clarify relation between Product Backlog and Sprint Backlog

"All incomplete Product Backlog Items are re-estimated and put back on the Product Backlog."
    How can you put a Product Backlog Item "back" on the Product Backlog? By definition it is already on the Product Backlog.
    My interpretation: They are put back from the Sprint Backlog to the Product Backlog. This would mean these sets are disjoint.
    Which seems unlogical, because per definition the product backlog consists of all things that "constitute the changes to be made to the product in future releases" which includes the Sprint Backlog.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Elevate the status of agreements in Scrum

Core Scrum introduced the idea that the Definition of Done is not an artifact, but an agreement among the stakeholders, which can change (become robuster) over the course of development. There are other agreements in Scrum, for example the selected product backlog is the result of sequencing by the PO and the Dev Teams forecast of what it can accomplish. Or if the team cannot meet its forecast, it should fail on scope (deliver less than forecast), rather than do overtime or prolong the sprint.

Other agreements are not core to scrum, serve to improve the performance of the team,…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Clarify what "all" means wrt to making the PBL transparent to "all"

Is this "all in the world"? "all" in the organization? "all" in the universe?

Idea brought on by (likely) Shu level read of the guide, and I assume that the primary target audience of the SG is Shu.

Here is the discussion:
    https://www.scrum.org/Forums/aft/1139#4899

My guess is "all" was intended to be "Scrum Team and stakeholders"

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Retrospectives should not be about individual people

The Sprint Retrospective section says (July 2013):

"Inspect how the last Sprint went with regards to people, relationships, process, and tools"

From a humanistic / servant-leader / Deming perspective, I feel "people" is not a good word to use here, since it can easily be misunderstood or misconstrued. "Relationships" probably already covers the associated issues.

But if we want to discuss people issues explicitly here (rather than out-of-band), then I would hesitantly suggest "behaviours" as a replacement. And I would put it last, not first.

[Aside: When articulating such a Retrospective list, I usually also call out "policies" explicitly. Although,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Include the Sprint Goal in the Scrum Artifacts section

The Sprint Goal adheres to the definition of artifact (work or value to provide transparency and opportunities for inspection and adaptation.) Promoting it to artifact would make the guide tidier (presenting everything as a role/artifact/event,) facilitate the understanding and make it more difficult to forget it.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Clarify identification with Team and Sprint Goal in Daily Scrum questions

Adapt the 'Three Questions' in Daily Scrum to make things clearer:

• What did I do yesterday that helped my team meet our Sprint Goal?
    • What will I do today to help my team meet our Sprint Goal?
    • Do I see any impediment that prevents me or my team from meeting our Sprint Goal?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. You don't turn the Product Backlog into Increments, but the items on the Product Backlog

On pag 7, at the first bullet of the paragraph "The Development Team" the text says "...how to turn Product Backlog into Increments...".
    I suggest the word "items" is added to the text. So then it would be "...how to turn Product Backlog items into Increments..."

Paragraph "Product Backlog" teaches us that "The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product." So the Product Backlog is a list with items, and the items are turned into the increment. The list itself is not turned into an increment, but remains a list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Suggestion for improving the way information about Scrum is presented

It would be great if there was a graphic summary of the Scrum roles, artifacts, events,etc. to supplement the text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base