General

User Voice

The Scrum Guide is a community website, created and maintained by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber. Via this User Voice forum, you may propose changes to the website, the Scrum Guide itself, or engage in discussion about suggestions others have made. This User Voice is read and supported by the Scrum Guide creators.

Periodic reviews of these suggestions inform the product backlog for the Scrum Guide, but final decisions on changes and functionality are Ken and Jeff's.

User Voice is read-only while new Scrum Guide is under development

User Voice is in read-only mode while Jeff and Ken create the next release, based on your suggestions in the User Voice, input from the overall Scrum community, and to meet advanced applications of Scrum that are either being made or have been requested.

1. improve the daily scrum questions to support "best effort" in the sprit of continuous improvement

Human behavior is established when you focus on "doing your best" every day according to Marshall Goldsmith "Triggers" being one of the sources.

I suggest that the three questions be changed to exhibit that ask (just like we have moved commitment to forecast of Sprint goals

What best effort did I do yesterday that helped the Development Team meet the Sprint Goal?
    What best effort will I do today to help the Development Team meet the Sprint Goal?
    Do I see any impediment that prevents me or the Development Team from our best effort towards meeting the Sprint Goal?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hold  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Tracking business value

Scrum master role should be ensuring the Product Owner knows how to arrange the Product Backlog to maximize value as well as track planned vs actual business value delivered to business.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change "if appropriate and not in conflict with product or organizational standards."

In the Sprint Retrospective section of the Scrum Guide it says "During each Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team plans ways to increase product quality by improving work processes or adapting the definition of "Done", if appropriate and not in conflict with product or organizational standards."

I feel that the words "if appropriate and not in conflict with product or organizational standards." are driven by corporate bureaucracy thinking and pressures from corporates on Scrum.

What happens if those "standards" are the essence of what is destroying Scrum? If those standards are the things that are impeding the team, surely they should…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. elaborate on risks of applying a "Ready" state

applying the "Ready" state brings a strong risk of entering a Contract Game between Dev Team and stakeholders.
    a "Definition of Ready" accelerates the risk.
    some sort of "footnote" might help people to understand this and avoid entering into the trap.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. make Scrum Guide publicly annotatable

from my point of view, a Web based version of the (English) Scrum Guide that is annotatable and allows for such discussions that are going on here would boost common understanding and contribute to eliminate misconceptions. scrum.org, Scrum Alliance and scruminc should sponsor this collectively.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Agile for individual work

The Guidebook says the agile framework is effective for appropriate number of team members, but I think the principle, such as putting emphasis on transparency or priority, also will be effective for the tiny team or even for the person working individually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Scrum Master should understand the domain or product on which team is working

I have been observing in one of the Scrum teams that they tried introducing a new Scrum Master who is unaware of the technology and product on which the team is working. Scrum Master contributes only by asking team members to put comments on their user stories, estimate them and sending mails and calendar invites. After 3 months of waiting (where I assumed that Scrum Master will be able to develop product understanding and contribute to team), I see team is still not able to get even a single benefit from Scrum Master. Due to this, even some team members…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Daily Scrum: Replace 3 questions, even when they are optional

Even when Nov 2017 version made the "3 questions" optional, they are still used by new practitioners, and most of the time, contributes to the micromanagement feeling toward Daily Scrum. Following https://medium.com/@i_2412/daily-standup-most-misunderstood-events-of-scrum-2562a9b3a1d8 , I suggest we drop them all together, or if mentioned, should focus on the Goal and the work, no "who does what"

(z.) What is our (Sprint) Goal?
    a. What was done to this SBI since the last Daily Scrum?
    b. What will be done to this SBI after this Daily Scrum?
    c. Is there any impediment that prevents this SBI from being completed?

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Why Sprint Goal inspection at least monthly?

When we read (in the section Sprint) that “Sprints enable predictability by ensuring inspection and adaptation of progress toward a Sprint Goal at least every calendar month.” it simply says to us that the progress toward a Sprint Goal is inspected/adapted at least monthly. However, we know that on a daily basis the same is done in the Daily Scrum event: “The Development Team uses the Daily Scrum to inspect progress toward the Sprint Goal”. As a result, these two may look mutually contradicting. Suggest correct the first one.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add "When is Scrum appropriate" section

There is a Scrum Reference Card (http://scrumreferencecard.com/ScrumReferenceCard.pdf) that includes a "When is Scrum Appropriate" section (very last page) that I believe is very important for people to read. I am wondering why this "Scrum Guide" website does not have any guidance with respect to the types of projects that are/are not suited to Scrum. Our organization is basically mandating that all projects follow scrum, and sending everyone on Scrum training, but there is no mention of the idea the Scrum is not necessarily the proper "framework" for projects that have "well understood requirements" and are using "proven technologies".…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Discuss the objective of the sprint before forecasting work to be done

Scrum Guide 2017, in section Sprint Planning, states:

The Development Team works to forecast the functionality that will be developed during the Sprint. The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.

I would suggest to interchange the sentences to:

The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.
    The Development Team works to forecast the functionality that will be developed during the Sprint.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Introduce the concept for non IT systems to use Scrum

For now it very focused on building complex products. However, based on the framework best practices how it can used for non IT industries can be a good starting point.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Introduce the concept of Sprint 0 for teams to get started

1. There is a minimal time which is needed for teams to develop an outline of their product backlog, basic infrastructure and technical setup. Also, defining team norms, agreeing of certain degree of preparation for teams to start delivering any increment. Thus, the sprint 0 should have defined checklist and activities done for getting teams to get started.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. You don't turn the Product Backlog into Increments, but the items on the Product Backlog

On pag 7, at the first bullet of the paragraph "The Development Team" the text says "...how to turn Product Backlog into Increments...".
    I suggest the word "items" is added to the text. So then it would be "...how to turn Product Backlog items into Increments..."

Paragraph "Product Backlog" teaches us that "The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product." So the Product Backlog is a list with items, and the items are turned into the increment. The list itself is not turned into an increment, but remains a list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Suggestion for improving the way information about Scrum is presented

It would be great if there was a graphic summary of the Scrum roles, artifacts, events,etc. to supplement the text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Clarify who can add to the Product Backlog

Is the Product Backlog a transparency, inspect and adapt opportunity? If yes, can anyone add to the Product Backlog? Ideally it would be yes so that the Product Owner is not see as an administrative assistant. If someone adds, ideally it triggers a conversation with the PO for their inspection and adaptation. A clarification would be helpful as many interpret "manage" to mean the PO is the only one who can add.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Clarify identification with Team and Sprint Goal in Daily Scrum questions

Adapt the 'Three Questions' in Daily Scrum to make things clearer:

• What did I do yesterday that helped my team meet our Sprint Goal?
    • What will I do today to help my team meet our Sprint Goal?
    • Do I see any impediment that prevents me or my team from meeting our Sprint Goal?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Product Backlog definition: change “known to be needed” to better reflect empiricism and uncertainty

Consider changing the first sentence of the definition of the Product Backlog to better reflect empiricism and the uncertainty of complex product development.

The current sentence is as follows: "The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product."

Consider changing the word "known" to "believed," "anticipated," or "hypothesized" - or some other way of conveying that the Product Backlog contains planned experiments to be validated through delivery of "Done" Increments and subsequent market feedback (if and when released). We don't know up front for certain what is needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change word "priority" to "order"

Product Owner is responsible for...Ordering the items in the Product Backlog to best achieve goals and missions;

Later in the following sentence word "priority" is used. Can this be changed to order?

Existing:
    The Product Owner may represent the desires of a committee in the Product Backlog, but those wanting to change a Product Backlog item’s priority must address the Product Owner.

Proposed:
    The Product Owner may represent the desires of a committee in the Product Backlog, but those wanting to change a Product Backlog item’s order must address the Product Owner.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)