General

User Voice

The Scrum Guide is a community website, created and maintained by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber. Via this User Voice forum, you may propose changes to the website, the Scrum Guide itself, or engage in discussion about suggestions others have made. This User Voice is read and supported by the Scrum Guide creators.

Periodic reviews of these suggestions inform the product backlog for the Scrum Guide, but final decisions on changes and functionality are Ken and Jeff's.

User Voice is read-only while new Scrum Guide is under development

User Voice is in read-only mode while Jeff and Ken create the next release, based on your suggestions in the User Voice, input from the overall Scrum community, and to meet advanced applications of Scrum that are either being made or have been requested.

1. Change scrum master task from enforcing task to supporting task

Described in "Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner":

The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
    * Finding techniques for effective Product Backlog management;

Can be changed to:
    The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
    * Helping the product owner find techniques for effective Product Backlog management;

This small change makes the task a supporting task.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add some diagrams for the visual thinkers out there.

While reviewing the Guide I decided to try to organize the material into tables as a learning exercise. I mapped Team and Events, then I mapped Events and Artifacts. It was an interesting exercise deconstructing the Guide. I think having a RACI for the Team members, and some swim lanes for the Artifacts and Events might be useful.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dear Sir/Mam Greetings!! Hope you are doing great!!  I have 9+ Year Experience Designing in eBook CreateSpace/ePub/Kindle Mobi/Fixed Lay

Dear Sir/Mam

Greetings!! Hope you are doing great!!

 I have 9+ Year Experience Designing in eBook CreateSpace/ePub/Kindle Mobi/Fixed Layout Conversion.
     I can deliver good product on time. I can work from any Kind of source (Microsoft Word, PDF, InDesign, Quark, Pagemaker, etc).
     I always test files in iPad/Kindle/Nook before sending. I can deliver project on time with quality and till now we have done 5000+ ebook.
     I also do it Amazon Kindle MOBI eBook Project, I will give you this format files.

* Mobi Kindle for (KDP Amazon) --- Final file will be tested on iPad/KindleFire…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Like 'Commitment' changed to 'Forecast' can 'Estimate' change to 'Size'?

First let me be clear, I'm not a fan of #NoEstimates. I see a lot of value in teams Estimating product backlog items. When size comes into play, they will find they do not all have the same perspective on the scope and complexity of the product backlog item.

However often teams are not comfortable providing estimates because other parts of the organization are considering them as given planning.

The word estimates has a historic meaning in waterfall projects, and is part of project management methods like Prince2 and PMI. Historically it is considered something you can and should get…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Adjust the ToC in the online version of the Scrum Guide (UI-bug)

UI-Bug: In Firexox (48.0.1) and Chrome ( 53.0.2785.116) the left menu is not 'sticky enough'.

To reproduce: scroll down to the end of the document.

Current behavior: the ToC doesn't stay within the left menu box.

Expected behavior: the ToC stays within the left menu box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Clarify what the primary function of the Product Owner role is to avoid unintended proxies

Clarify what the primary function of the Product Owner role is to avoid unconscious proxies

Clarify: "The Product Owner is responsible for maximizing the value of the product and the work of the Development Team."

This sentence appears to skim over the primary function of the PO role in six words combined with a secondary, more tactical concern that mixes messages.

Suggest: "The Product Owner is a business decision making role responsible for maximizing the value of the product being developed using Scrum. At a tactical level, the Product Owner may seek to maximise the value of the Development Team's…

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make clear that Scrum promotes a sustainable development

The iterations in Scrum are named "Sprints". I think this can lead to the false assumption that the developers are supposed to work as fast as they can and exhaust themselves during a sprint.
    In real life, when I'm doing a "sprint", I'm normally running as fast as I can. This is okay for a single sprint, but doing this for a couple of sprints it would lead to my physical breakdown very fast.

Maybe you can add something like this:
    "In a sprint the development team works with a pace that they can sustain indefinitely over multiple sprints."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Small clarification regarding to "Product Backlog"

In the "The Scrum Team" chapter, in the "The Product Owner" sub-chapter we can read: "The Product Owner is the sole person responsible for managing the Product Backlog <...>"

But the definition of the "Product Backlog" comes much later.

I would suggest to add some note in brackets like: "(see the "Scrum Artifacts" chapter)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add an explicit WIP limit to a sprint

Multitasking kills productivity and in some bad cases causes a mini waterfall in a Sprint. The best Scrum teams know they should limit the amount of stories they work on at one time. Many teams don't explicitly understand this. I propose adding an explicit WIP limit to help flow in a sprint.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Bring back the "Commitment" for Sprint Planning Topic 1, or at least after SP Topic 2.

Forecasting is not strong enough for the creation of a plan for a Sprint. Commitment is one of the Scrum values, so it would be good to see this rather enthusiatic drive to complete a Sprint as the forecast suggests, to everybody's best knowledge and abilities, again. It was a big difference psychologically in recent Scrum Guides, and was well accepted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Put http://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html on GitHub to allow proper discussion

I suggest moving the scrum guide to a format like Markdown, and to put that text and human friendly format into GitHub or Bitbucket. Then we can actually send proper pull requests, have those reviewed and discussed _with context_.
    In this User Voice forum, there is no context and it's hard to reason about the actual suggestion that people make.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Plan for implementing improvements visible in the forthcoming sprint

Last paragraph of section "Sprint Retrospective" says: "By the end of the Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team should have identified improvements that it will implement in the next Sprint."

Change to: "By the end of the Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team should have identified improvements that it will implement in the next Sprint. Improvements should be added to the Sprint Backlog"

And

the first paragraph of section “Product Backlog” says: “The Sprint Backlog is the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint, plus a plan for delivering the product Increment and realizing the Sprint Goal.

Change to: “The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add an Impediment List as an artifact

The SM must work on impediments, helping the team become more productive and more happy, etc. The SM needs a list of the top X (20?) things that he/she needs to work on.
    This will lead to greater focus on removing impediments, and greater success.
    How can you build a product without a Prod Bklog (list)? How can you have continuous improvement without an Impediment List?

Everything that can be improved (in any way) might go on the list. (There are many types of impediments.) In theory that could be lots of things (just as the PB could also be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Don't prescribe exactly when the sprint goal is set during sprint planning

Last paragraph of section "Topic One: What can be done this Sprint?" says: "After the Development Team forecasts the Product Backlog items it will deliver in the Sprint, the Scrum Team crafts a Sprint Goal. "

Change to: "During Sprint Planning, the Scrum Team also crafts a Sprint Goal."

Rationale for the change: No need to prescribe that the goal should be set AFTER deciding which PBIs to deliver. In many cases it will make sense to set the goal first, and then decide which PBIs make sense to achieve that goal. And that's even implied at the beginning of…

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Replace the word "framework" by "method" in the very first sentence of the guide.

The word framework implies, that you first have to insatiate it, before you can use it. While this is formally true on an absolute scale, a big advantage of Scrum (and maybe even one of the major reasons for its success) is, that it is much more ready to use, when compared to, e.g., RUP or most other agile methods.

Using the word "method" instead may also reduce the danger of Scrum being too much and too often adapted by unexperienced teams.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve readibility by removing "he or she" when talking about PO

When talking about Scrum Master "he or she" is not used. If gender is an important issue you could add a section about why using just male form as used often in books to improve readibility of the descriptive text.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Correct the 3 questions in the Daily Scrum

Usually the Daily Scrum meeting is held around the beginning of the day, but that's not a rule, and in many cases (because of time zones) it is not even true.

The Scrum Guide doesn't state that when the Daily Scrum should be done, it only suggests to have it in the same time (and place) every day: "The Daily Scrum is held at the same time and place each day to reduce complexity."

Then, right after this, the 3 questions (I'm quoting the first 2) are mentioned:
    "What did I do yesterday that helped the Development Team meet the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. A fourth Daily Scrum question

One of my Scrum Master mentors, or some Scrum article from the distant past recommended this 4th Daily Scrum question (that I now always use):

Did I discover any requirements (new or existing) that the Scrum Team should be made aware of?

Sometimes a developer may realize when looking at a particular item in the Sprint Backlog that they could knock off another item in the Product Backlog that is not in the Sprint if they spent an incrementally small amount of additional time. There is a natural tendency to not want to mention it because of perceived (and real)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)