I suggest you ...

Remove "Development Team isn’t allowed to act on what anyone else says"

At the end of "The Product Owner" section, it says: "No one is allowed to tell the Development Team to work from a different set of requirements, and the Development Team isn’t allowed to act on what anyone else says."
1) Change "tell" to "force" ("No one is allowed to *tell* the Development Team to work from a different set of requirement").
2) Remove "the Development Team isn’t allowed to act on what anyone else says".

Rationale: It's a self-organizing team, they judge for themselves how to best use their time, as long as they respect the sprint goal. When in doubt they can talk to the PO, but they must be allowed to decide when it makes sense to do things like helping another team. A team that is forbidden to take initiatives like that will be dismpowered, and the PO risks becoming a bottleneck. A good team will leave some slack in the sprint plan for things like this.

81 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Henrik Kniberg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Filip Beslic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The goal of a project means fullfilling a vision from the organisation. A product owner understands and acts on this vision and is responsible for shifftign effort from the team so the vision can be satisfied. A team is empowered in it's way of delivering increments. They however don't just choose what to do. Resources are limited, meaning we cannot have it all. At the end of a day, a trade-off has to be made. Helping another team means giving up on business value, a trade-off which only can be made by a product owner. The Scrum Master can facilitate by pointing out the importance of eliminating impediments for other teams.

• Alan Larimer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this statement is based on the values, especially Focus. Others cannot be permitted to pull the DT or its members away from the Commitment of the Sprint Goal.

If DT members jump around to help other teams, how can one empirically forecast based on previous iterations?

The PO is always a risk as a bottleneck; if that individual cannot or is not performing then the Scrum Team and product (thus customer also) suffer. In the case of illness, somebody will have to fill that role regardless so nothing changes.

• gene gendel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am not too certain here. "what" and "how" - are not the same things. nobody should set business priorities for a team but PO. But what if PO has become ill and not available and priorities dramatically have changed (strategically). i think there are edge cases that exist .

• Martien van Steenbergen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TMO The gist here is that the PO is accountable for what is getting delivered and the DT figures out how they will accomplish that and that no external forces can compel the ST to do otherwise.

• Jens Abrahamsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is logical update related to the 2011 change from sprint commit to sprint goal commit. The current reading of this paragraph kind of cuts the team's wings when it comes to realizing the sprint goal.

Feedback and Knowledge Base