I suggest you ...

Visitors should be allowed in Daily Scrum

Near the end of the "Daily Scrum" sections it says: "The Scrum Master enforces the rule that only Development Team members participate in the Daily Scrum."

Change to: "The Daily Scrum is primarily an internal meeting for the Development Team. The Scrum Master may allow outside observers or participants, as long as they don’t disrupt the meeting"

Rationale for replacing this paragraph: The team is responsible for doing their best to achieve the sprint goal, so it must be OK for them to involve external participants as they see fit. Teams rarely exist in isolation, they are part of a greater system and need to be empowered to collaborate. Also, if we forbid the team to invite others to the daily scrum, that conflicts with the transparency principle, and invites suboptimization.

120 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Henrik KnibergHenrik Kniberg shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alan LarimerAlan Larimer commented  · 

As with most other aspects of the framework, it means exactly what it says. Only DT members participate and the SM enforces that rule. It is up to each team to consider permitting observers. Concerns of negatively impacting the effectiveness of the event, especially with less mature DTs, must be considered. All those advocating the SM or PO participating are advocating violating the rules. Give each DT those fifteen minutes to plan the coordinated effort of the day. Excuses (not reasons) for having other individuals participate are indicators of issues that need to be resolved in some other manner.

• MarcinMarcin commented  · 

Participation doesnt equal attendnene. I agree on current, stronger version of this rule, as it is more helpful for those, who start to implement scrum or work with yound teams where a temptation from PO to do a micro management (or willing to be managed by fresh Scrum adopters) during this meeting is high.

• Kurt Nielsen, CSTKurt Nielsen, CST commented  · 

I have always implemented Daily Scrum in such a way that everybody was allowed to come and listen, but the don't talk, only the Team and Scrum Master talks (possibly Product Owner, that's another story). I see this as a fundamental element of openness from the Team. Everybody can come and learn and feel comforted by following the Team's sensible work. SO Igree with clarifying the statement.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Henrik - I'd prefer "The Scrum Team may allow" to "The ScrumMaster may allow"

• Naveen NanjundappaNaveen Nanjundappa commented  · 

I consider daily scrum as "daily inspect and adapt towards sprint goal and plan for the day"
        Scrum Guide doesn't talk anything about others not being present in the daily scrum.

Participate words I read it as only the development team can talk, discuss and plan for their day..

I didn't see any problem in this statement. I'm OK to make it more explicitly stated.

• gene gendelgene gendel commented  · 

agree. for example, sr. management that those that truly support agile may want to come and observe to learn, as silent observers. excluding them does not make sense as they are main supporters.

• Martien van SteenbergenMartien van Steenbergen commented  · 

I’d say the Daily Scrum is a meeting open to anyone, yet only Development Team members *participate* (i.e. DT members are read-write and the rest is read-only).

• Jens AbrahamssonJens Abrahamsson commented  · 

This is very good since it will explicitly facilitate direct communication between the team and stakeholders.

• Ville RindellVille Rindell commented  · 

Visitors should be allowed in Daily Scrum only if team decides to invite them. If someone wants to observe Daily Scrum, there is problem with transparency. Issues with Stakeholders may be discussed in other events during Sprints. Daily Scrum should be for the Development Team.

• David SabineDavid Sabine commented  · 

Hello Henrik,

Regarding this line: "The Scrum Master enforces the rule that only Development Team members participate in the Daily Scrum."

In interpret that VERY literally -- the word 'participate' there (I think) means that the (only) Development Team members are sharing information. However, nothing about that sentence implies that others cannot observe.

• Adam YuretAdam Yuret commented  · 

So the goal of the meeting is to minimize time taken? ;-)

• Paweł StankowskiPaweł Stankowski commented  · 

Participation is not the same as attendance. Scrum Guide is ok with inviting stakeholders to Daily Scrum. Maybe other wording would be easier to understand. Still, I think others should NOT participate as there is no time for their needs at Daily Scrum. One stakeholder may easily ruin the goal of the meeting by taking too much time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base