I suggest you ...

Like 'Commitment' changed to 'Forecast' can 'Estimate' change to 'Size'?

First let me be clear, I'm not a fan of #NoEstimates. I see a lot of value in teams Estimating product backlog items. When size comes into play, they will find they do not all have the same perspective on the scope and complexity of the product backlog item.

However often teams are not comfortable providing estimates because other parts of the organization are considering them as given planning.

The word estimates has a historic meaning in waterfall projects, and is part of project management methods like Prince2 and PMI. Historically it is considered something you can and should get better at.

In Scrum teams invest just enough time in PBI's during Baclog Refinement to understand size and complexity and make sure the have the same understanding of scope. The outcome is not an estimate with a 10% margin of error, but more like 50%.

Therefore I propose to change the word estimate to size, since it does not have the historical meaning and at the same time isn't considered very accurate.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Niels Verdonk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. No plans can be created without estimates.
        Whatever is your working approach.

Feedback and Knowledge Base