I suggest you ...

Remove "Remove Impediments" as a responsibility of the Scrum Master

The "Remove Impediments" responsibility of the Scrum Master is much too generic. It is easy to formulate everything as an impediment. It also leads to the Development Team not taking responsibility for solving their own problems but instead assign it to the Scrum Master because his role is to remove impediments.

Suggestions:
- Remove "remove impediments" completely, or
- Add "remove impediments" also to the PO and Dev Team responsibility, or
- Clarify the kinds of impediments are suggested, perhaps by adding an additional clarification such as "impediments that the team cannot yet resolve themselves or that do not directly relate to the Sprint Goal"

273 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Bas Vodde shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’d add the word “help”.

The job of the ScrumMaster is to help remove impediments.

• Rickard Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Facilitate is great but it may mean a never-ending list of them and never get resolved. Thus no one owns it as an outcome and then it may not be resolved. Not desirable.
    How about instead.....

"facilitate relentless transparency on impediments and who owns these impediments outside the whole Scrum Team".

As if they are within the Scrum Teams power to resolve them, then we should as per the manifesto trust the team to get them resolved as done.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree with your reasons and I think "facilitate the removal of impediments" causes people to think about taking responsibility.

• Rieks Visser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that it's defined broadly, as are many subjects in the guide . What I don't like is how it seems to suggest that the Scrum Master should primarily fix things, were the development team should attempt to fix it first. So, a +1 for Simon and Petri's suggestion on 'facillitate impediment removal'.

• Simon Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to echo Petri’s suggestion to change this to “facilitate the removal of impediments ...” whilst emphasizing that the solution to a problem is often in the hands of the dev team or elsewhere.

• Petri Heiramo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about something along the lines of "facilitate the removal of impediments by those responsible for resolving them"? I think the service of helping others remove impediments is an important and valueable part of the ScrumMaster role. Often it is the most challenging and most important part of making Scrum work. I don't think it should be just removed.

2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base