General

User Voice

The Scrum Guide is a community website, created and maintained by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber. Via this User Voice forum, you may propose changes to the website, the Scrum Guide itself, or engage in discussion about suggestions others have made. This User Voice is read and supported by the Scrum Guide creators.

Periodic reviews of these suggestions inform the product backlog for the Scrum Guide, but final decisions on changes and functionality are Ken and Jeff's.

User Voice is read-only while new Scrum Guide is under development

User Voice is in read-only mode while Jeff and Ken create the next release, based on your suggestions in the User Voice, input from the overall Scrum community, and to meet advanced applications of Scrum that are either being made or have been requested.

1. Include an easy signup for people to get notifications when the Scrum Guide changes

I had someone in a Scrum class ask me if there was a way for her to get notifications of when the Scrum Guide changes. I thought it was an interesting idea for consideration.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Additions to Sprint Retrospectives... borrowed from the Nexus Guide

Often retrospectives in Scrum teams are not deep enough and focused enough. One of the tools I use is elements of the Nexus guide to facilitate the scope of retrospectives even in one-team Scrum. I just the following be added to the Scrum Guide in the Sprint Retrospectives section (wordings completely borrowed from the Nexus Guide)

Every Retrospective should address the following
    subjects:
    • Was any work left undone? Did the Sprint generate technical debt?
    • Were all artifacts, particularly code, frequently (as often as every day) successfully integrated?
    • Was the software successfully built, tested, and deployed often enough…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. How inclusive is a "Scrum Master"?

8 March 2019, as we celebrate International Women's Day today, a thought comes to my mind with the term "Scrum Master" and how inclusive it is? Before I proceed, it makes sense to clarify that the term Master utilised by the Scrum Guide addresses a skilled practitioner of a particular art or activity.

Sadly, our search engines and dictionaries don't do enough justice to this term. The most widely accepted meaning for the word Master as per our favourite search engines and dictionaries still call it "a man who has people working for him, especially servants or slaves"; other meanings…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add "When is Scrum appropriate" section

There is a Scrum Reference Card (http://scrumreferencecard.com/ScrumReferenceCard.pdf) that includes a "When is Scrum Appropriate" section (very last page) that I believe is very important for people to read. I am wondering why this "Scrum Guide" website does not have any guidance with respect to the types of projects that are/are not suited to Scrum. Our organization is basically mandating that all projects follow scrum, and sending everyone on Scrum training, but there is no mention of the idea the Scrum is not necessarily the proper "framework" for projects that have "well understood requirements" and are using "proven technologies".…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. appoint successors for Ken and Jeff, who should further adapt the Scrum Guide

I know it's a creepy thought, but we all know life is short, and all sorts of things can happen.

In the future those people who will be new to Scrum, will find it reassuring to know that the responsibility for further advancing the Scrum Guide was granted jointly and personally by both Jeff and Ken to certain individuals, who will be the new Scrum Leaders in the absence of the founding fathers.

In other words, putting Ken' and Jeff's successors name in the Scrum Guide will make it clear who picks up the torch and takes Scrum further.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove estimating and re-estimating from Sprint Cancellation section

In the 3rd paragraph of the section "Cancelling a Sprint" is stated:

"When a Sprint is cancelled, any completed and “Done” Product Backlog items are reviewed. If part of the work is potentially releasable, the Product Owner typically accepts it. All incomplete Product Backlog Items are re-estimated and put back on the Product Backlog. The work done on them depreciates quickly and must be frequently re-estimated."

Estimating half complete work and putting it back on the backlog is a bad practice, which is seen in immature Scrum teams who struggle to complete items within the Sprint timebox. So let's not…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Plan for implementing improvements visible in the forthcoming sprint

Last paragraph of section "Sprint Retrospective" says: "By the end of the Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team should have identified improvements that it will implement in the next Sprint."

Change to: "By the end of the Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team should have identified improvements that it will implement in the next Sprint. Improvements should be added to the Sprint Backlog"

And

the first paragraph of section “Product Backlog” says: “The Sprint Backlog is the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint, plus a plan for delivering the product Increment and realizing the Sprint Goal.

Change to: “The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add an Impediment List as an artifact

The SM must work on impediments, helping the team become more productive and more happy, etc. The SM needs a list of the top X (20?) things that he/she needs to work on.
    This will lead to greater focus on removing impediments, and greater success.
    How can you build a product without a Prod Bklog (list)? How can you have continuous improvement without an Impediment List?

Everything that can be improved (in any way) might go on the list. (There are many types of impediments.) In theory that could be lots of things (just as the PB could also be…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Agile Manifesto and Explain definition of Done more clearly in the last part of scrum guide

Add Agile Manifesto and Explain definition of Done more clearly in the last part of scrum guide.

Add situation based example. like the one we have in the last part of the Management Plaza Guide

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Move "Each increment is additive" from "Definition of Done" to "Increment"

The section "Definition of Done" includes the following paragraph:

"Each Increment is additive to all prior Increments and thoroughly tested, ensuring that all Increments work together."

Looking at the text preceding and following it, this paragraph looks a bit out of place. Also, unlike the other bits related to the Increment in this section, it does not refer to "Done" at all.

I propose moving it to the "Increment" section because it is part of the definition of what an Increment is.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Build a RACI (or RASCI) for Scrum - as a snapshot in an appendix of the Scrum Guide?

Do you see any value in a one-page RACI addition to the Scrum Guide?

I've been learning all about Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), and proposed the need for a RACI. It was actually on their list for 4.0 considerations, which was nice to know. SAFe has additional roles and teams identified at the program and portfolio levels.

Also, I had weeks of agile-based training thru ThoughtWorks back in 2010, and their training materials had so many responsibilities embedded throughout that I saw value in creating my own RACI.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change the short definition of Scrum in the guide to tell the reader what Scrum is, not its benefits

The beginning of the guide currently reads "Scrum is a framework within which people can address complex adaptive problems, while productively and creatively delivering products of the highest possible value."

This tells me the benefits of Scrum, not what Scrum is, and thus is less meaningful. I would propose changing it to:

"Scrum is a framework where products are developed by a self-organizing team, in multiple fixed-length sprints, in full collaboration with a product owner, using Agile values and principles throughout."

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Scrum process diagram

SCRUM PROCESS DIAGRAM: There is a version of the scrum guide converted to a process diagram in http://www.processon.com . Access is free! Discover and enjoy!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use examples along with the theory to clarify the concepts.

It would be nice to clearly understand the different concepts illustrated in the Scrum guide through giving examples from real-life experiences gained while implementing Scrum.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Keep it simple

Keep it as simple as possible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. remove the notion of the PO accepting PBI's

In the section on cancelling a sprint there is the text " If part of the work is potentially releasable, the Product Owner typically accepts it".
    This suggests that the PO is the person accepting the work done in the sprint.
    Doing so implicitly makes the PO the Boss of the team. If I can accept or reject your work, I am clearly in a power position towards you. This is not in line with the description of the team and the roles, where the PO is *part of* the Scrum Team.
    In the rest of the Scrum Guide there…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Re-estimate incomplete Sprint goals... in Sprint Review

The Scrum guide talks about the cancellation of a Sprint. In that context it asks to "All incomplete Product Backlog Items are re-estimated and put back on the Product Backlog."

Would this not be true for items not completed in a Sprint as well? So I suggest that this be added to the Sprint Review as well so that the Product Backlog is accurate at the end of the Sprint (since in most cases refinement should be already completed).

Optionally, this can be added in Sprint Planning as a step for items not completed in a previous Sprint (though this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Improve the 3 suggested questions for the Daily Scrum

I will just start by saying that I don't like the 3 questions being present on the Scrum Guide.
    That being said, as a PST, I've been focusing on how to move people away from the status report mindset since they are so attached to the questions.
    Here is my take:

Currently the questions are:
    What did I do yesterday that helped the Development Team meet the Sprint Goal?
    What will I do today to help the Development Team meet the Sprint Goal?
    Do I see any impediment that prevents me or the Development Team from meeting the Sprint Goal?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Revise some statements about DoD to make clear who owns it

I was having a discussion today with some students and they were confused by some wording used on the Scrum Guide.
    There is two sections on the scrum guide that uses "Scrum Team’s current definition of "Done"" and "Scrum Team’s definition of "Done"" and then we go on about the Development team defining de DoD at the end of the guide.
    The student seemed very confused by it, because both cases come before the clarification that the DoD is defined by the Dev Team.

Even though I get what we meant by "scrum team's definition of done" I suggest rewording…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base