General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. They are self-organizing. No one tells the Development Team how to turn (X) Product Backlog (X) into Increments of poten

Hello

I keep reading this sentence in the guide and wonder if the word "the" or "item" or "items" is missing either side of "Product Backlog". Please advise?

wit thanks

They are self-organizing. No one (not even the Scrum Master) tells the Development Team how to turn [THE] Product Backlog ITEM/S] into Increments of potentially releasable functionality;

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Why we plan for next 24 hours in daily scrum?

In Daily Scrum, more precisely, plan should be for next 8 or 9 working hours and not for 24 hours.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Clarify whether in-sprint change is OK, or verboten - and effect on acceptance criteria

Guide says that "Sprint Goal gives the Development Team SOME FLEXIBILITY regarding the functionality implemented within the Sprint" and "if the work turns out to be different than the Development Team expected, they collaborate with the Product Owner to negotiate the scope of Sprint Backlog within the Sprint."

This change seems pretty significant but wasn’t addressed in the webinar or summaries of the 2017 guide changes. It seems a reversal of traditional guidance to minimize or eliminate changes to functionality during the sprint, to expose improvement areas and encourage transparency.

Also, does the “work” –refer to tasks, or the actual…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Clarify optional participants of Daily Scrum

When I read the Scrum Guide last time I got a bit confused, because I read "The Scrum Master enforces the rule that only Development Team members participate in the Daily Scrum.". So strictly speaking even the Scrum Master himself could not participate. I think the German version is more precise because it talks about "active participation". Maybe this is misleading especially for foreign speakers.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. clarify the "Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner" section

It is not clear who the "target" of individual activities is in this section ("service to the development team" is much clearer). For example, should the SM or the PM understand product planning in an empirical environment. Should "helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise product backlog items" read "helping the Product Owner understand..."?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Publish change summary from previous version of guide

Please publish a summary of changes from one version to the next at the end of the guide or as a companion.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Improve readibility by removing "he or she" when talking about PO

When talking about Scrum Master "he or she" is not used. If gender is an important issue you could add a section about why using just male form as used often in books to improve readibility of the descriptive text.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Product Backlog definition: change “known to be needed” to better reflect empiricism and uncertainty

Consider changing the first sentence of the definition of the Product Backlog to better reflect empiricism and the uncertainty of complex product development.

The current sentence is as follows: "The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product."

Consider changing the word "known" to "believed," "anticipated," or "hypothesized" - or some other way of conveying that the Product Backlog contains planned experiments to be validated through delivery of "Done" Increments and subsequent market feedback (if and when released). We don't know up front for certain what is needed.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Change ideal team team size back to 7 +/2

The latest scrumguide recommends ideal dev. team size is 6 +/- 3 or 3 to 9. Sure, I understand there are plenty successful teams with less than 5 members, but overall I think it is too small.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Link to all headings

I believe it would be very helpful for those of us who are referencing the scrum guide to be able to send links to our colleagues to section of the scrum guide.

I have observed that currently many h2 and h3 heading elements have html id attributes and are referable by appending the id as the fragment in the URL (http://www.scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html#theory).
    However some are missing and I think any section worthy of a heading should be referable (all heading elements - h1-h6).
    So what I am proposing is to ensure that all heading elements have an html id…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Revise some statements about DoD to make clear who owns it

I was having a discussion today with some students and they were confused by some wording used on the Scrum Guide.
    There is two sections on the scrum guide that uses "Scrum Team’s current definition of "Done"" and "Scrum Team’s definition of "Done"" and then we go on about the Development team defining de DoD at the end of the guide.
    The student seemed very confused by it, because both cases come before the clarification that the DoD is defined by the Dev Team.

Even though I get what we meant by "scrum team's definition of done" I suggest rewording…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Clarify the idea of continuous improvement as part of the Sprint Backlog

In the section on the Product Backlog, it says that the Product Backlog "lists all features, functions, requirements, enhancements, and fixes that constitute the changes to be made to the product in future releases". It also says that Product Backlog Items (which are presumed to be the only content of the Product Backlog) "have the attributes of a description, order, estimate, and value". The section on the Sprint Backlog says "the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint, plus a plan for delivering the product Increment and realizing the Sprint Goal".

The November 2017 updated modified this paragraph…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Discuss the objective of the sprint before forecasting work to be done

Scrum Guide 2017, in section Sprint Planning, states:

The Development Team works to forecast the functionality that will be developed during the Sprint. The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.

I would suggest to interchange the sentences to:

The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.
    The Development Team works to forecast the functionality that will be developed during the Sprint.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Call out the Scrum rules

"This Guide contains the definition of Scrum. This definition consists of Scrum’s roles, events, artifacts, and the *rules* that bind them together."

Roles, events, and artifacts are explicitly identified in the Scrum Guide, but the "rules" are not. Is any paragraph in the Scrum Guide containing words like "must", "only", "no one", "not allowed" a rule?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. clarify/remove "Monitoring Progress Toward a Goal" (page 14 - Scrum Artifacts)

This is obviously an important function of a Project Manager (or Product Owner?), however it does not sit well here.

Goal (as used here) is not a Scrum artifact.

This is obviously not the Sprint Goal as it is only tracked at the Sprint Review. In fact, having goals within Scrum which are longer than a Sprint seems to work against the Agile nature of the development. At the beginning of each Sprint you look at what the market and technological conditions are and what you want to achieve.

Longer term goals should be defined by the stakeholders and, if…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. specify if the sprint backlog must be executed in top to bottom order

In the company that i work, that is the ideia by some of the folks that the stories order to be executed by the development team is always top to bottom, because the product backlog is organized that way, and, in theory, the most valuable stories are at the top.

In practice, this is used to imposed which person will do which story, eliminating the minimum of personal freedom in story picking that i think make a team healthy.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Adjust the ToC in the online version of the Scrum Guide (UI-bug)

UI-Bug: In Firexox (48.0.1) and Chrome ( 53.0.2785.116) the left menu is not 'sticky enough'.

To reproduce: scroll down to the end of the document.

Current behavior: the ToC doesn't stay within the left menu box.

Expected behavior: the ToC stays within the left menu box.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. SCRUM guideline : "What can be done this Sprint?" this sentence is grammatically wrong.

SCRUM guideline : "What can be done this Sprint?" this sentence is grammatically wrong. It should be "What can be done in this Sprint ?"

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Change word "priority" to "order"

Product Owner is responsible for...Ordering the items in the Product Backlog to best achieve goals and missions;

Later in the following sentence word "priority" is used. Can this be changed to order?

Existing:
    The Product Owner may represent the desires of a committee in the Product Backlog, but those wanting to change a Product Backlog item’s priority must address the Product Owner.

Proposed:
    The Product Owner may represent the desires of a committee in the Product Backlog, but those wanting to change a Product Backlog item’s order must address the Product Owner.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base