General

User Voice

The Scrum Guide is a community website, created and maintained by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber. Via this User Voice forum, you may propose changes to the website, the Scrum Guide itself, or engage in discussion about suggestions others have made. This User Voice is read and supported by the Scrum Guide creators.

Periodic reviews of these suggestions inform the product backlog for the Scrum Guide, but final decisions on changes and functionality are Ken and Jeff's.

User Voice is read-only while new Scrum Guide is under development

User Voice is in read-only mode while Jeff and Ken create the next release, based on your suggestions in the User Voice, input from the overall Scrum community, and to meet advanced applications of Scrum that are either being made or have been requested.

1. Agile for individual work

The Guidebook says the agile framework is effective for appropriate number of team members, but I think the principle, such as putting emphasis on transparency or priority, also will be effective for the tiny team or even for the person working individually.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scrum Master should understand the domain or product on which team is working

I have been observing in one of the Scrum teams that they tried introducing a new Scrum Master who is unaware of the technology and product on which the team is working. Scrum Master contributes only by asking team members to put comments on their user stories, estimate them and sending mails and calendar invites. After 3 months of waiting (where I assumed that Scrum Master will be able to develop product understanding and contribute to team), I see team is still not able to get even a single benefit from Scrum Master. Due to this, even some team members…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Discuss the objective of the sprint before forecasting work to be done

Scrum Guide 2017, in section Sprint Planning, states:

The Development Team works to forecast the functionality that will be developed during the Sprint. The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.

I would suggest to interchange the sentences to:

The Product Owner discusses the objective that the Sprint should achieve and the Product Backlog items that, if completed in the Sprint, would achieve the Sprint Goal.
    The Development Team works to forecast the functionality that will be developed during the Sprint.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Introduce the concept of Sprint 0 for teams to get started

1. There is a minimal time which is needed for teams to develop an outline of their product backlog, basic infrastructure and technical setup. Also, defining team norms, agreeing of certain degree of preparation for teams to start delivering any increment. Thus, the sprint 0 should have defined checklist and activities done for getting teams to get started.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. You don't turn the Product Backlog into Increments, but the items on the Product Backlog

On pag 7, at the first bullet of the paragraph "The Development Team" the text says "...how to turn Product Backlog into Increments...".
    I suggest the word "items" is added to the text. So then it would be "...how to turn Product Backlog items into Increments..."

Paragraph "Product Backlog" teaches us that "The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product." So the Product Backlog is a list with items, and the items are turned into the increment. The list itself is not turned into an increment, but remains a list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Suggestion for improving the way information about Scrum is presented

It would be great if there was a graphic summary of the Scrum roles, artifacts, events,etc. to supplement the text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Product Backlog definition: change “known to be needed” to better reflect empiricism and uncertainty

Consider changing the first sentence of the definition of the Product Backlog to better reflect empiricism and the uncertainty of complex product development.

The current sentence is as follows: "The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product."

Consider changing the word "known" to "believed," "anticipated," or "hypothesized" - or some other way of conveying that the Product Backlog contains planned experiments to be validated through delivery of "Done" Increments and subsequent market feedback (if and when released). We don't know up front for certain what is needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Change word "priority" to "order"

Product Owner is responsible for...Ordering the items in the Product Backlog to best achieve goals and missions;

Later in the following sentence word "priority" is used. Can this be changed to order?

Existing:
    The Product Owner may represent the desires of a committee in the Product Backlog, but those wanting to change a Product Backlog item’s priority must address the Product Owner.

Proposed:
    The Product Owner may represent the desires of a committee in the Product Backlog, but those wanting to change a Product Backlog item’s order must address the Product Owner.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove the team-in-a-team working.

To me, there is only one team, made up of an SM, PO, and developers. Right now, the SG says that the "Scrum Team" contains an SM, PO, and a separate "Dev... team." That statement is interpreted by many as meaning that the SM and PO are not really part of the team, and that any tension of conflict between (most often) the PO and the "team" is deliberate and useful. Is that the intent of using the team-in-team structure? If not, then I'd get rid of it and just say that the Scrum Team is made up of a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Align the description of the scrum master role and the description of the retrospective

When reading the description of the SM role, the SM is responsible for causing change to improve the productivity of the team. However when reading the english description of the retrospective, there's a broken sentence that can be read as if the scrum team is accountable for the process. Having the SM responsible for causing change to the process, while the scrum team is accountable for the process itself seems to create unwanted tension. If the SM is responsible for causing the change, why shouldn't the SM be accountable for the process?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make Grooming an official Scrum Event

Hi guys,

We've been spending quite much time for pre-planning or Grooming. That's why I'm suggesting to make this event an official scrum event. I always set up a separate meetings for my teams called Groomings, and I noticed that my colleagues are doing the same essentially. Thanks in advance!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SCRUM guideline : "What can be done this Sprint?" this sentence is grammatically wrong.

SCRUM guideline : "What can be done this Sprint?" this sentence is grammatically wrong. It should be "What can be done in this Sprint ?"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Replace "a Sprint goal" with "a Goal" in a sentence

Hello,

I am referring to Scrum guide november 2017

In section "Monitoring Progress Toward Goals" of Scrum guide (page 16), following is mentioned :
    "The Product Owner tracks this total work remaining at least every Sprint Review."

In section "Monitoring Sprint Progress" of Scrum guide (page 17), following is mentioned :
    "The Development Team tracks this total work remaining at least for every Daily Scrum to project the likelihood of achieving the Sprint Goal."

In section "The Sprint" of Scrum guide (page 9), following is mentioned :
    "Sprints enable predictability by ensuring inspection and adaptation of progress toward a Sprint…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Rename Sprint Review to Product Review

The Sprint cadence happen to be the frequency of this event in Scrum, but the main thing to inspect, isn't that the Product? What's in there (the increment)? What's out there?

The current name, Sprint Review, may indicate that the Sprint that's almost at an end, and the work performed in that Sprint, is the primary focus of this event. I'm suggesting that's the wrong focus - the thing we're really focusing on is the product, how it's doing and what we want to do with it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. specify if the sprint backlog must be executed in top to bottom order

In the company that i work, that is the ideia by some of the folks that the stories order to be executed by the development team is always top to bottom, because the product backlog is organized that way, and, in theory, the most valuable stories are at the top.

In practice, this is used to imposed which person will do which story, eliminating the minimum of personal freedom in story picking that i think make a team healthy.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Since Scrum is a framework, why is the Stand-Up/Scrum event so specifically prescribed as a "Daily Scrum?"

I understand daily is the overwhelming frequency and also a good practice for the overwhelming majority of scrum projects. Don't misunderstand - I'm a big believer in daily scrums.

However, especially as Scrum is used for more and more non-IT projects of all types, couldn't the scrum frequency be more or less frequent that daily? It seems that the frequency might also be correlated to the sprint duration.

I submit this suggestion more in the spirit of keeping Scrum at the level of a framework and not a methodology or set of rules than I do to try to change…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Clarify chronology of events

In the English language version of 2017 Guide, it is unclear if there is an intended order to the four events and, if so, what that order is. Can Sprint Planning happen at the end of the Sprint for an upcoming Sprint or should it happen at the beginning for the current Sprint? Or is either acceptable within Scrum's framework? The intent/rule for event order needs clarified.

In most places that describe Sprint Planning, the Guide says it is done for "the Sprint" which presumably means the current Sprint and implies Sprint Planning is the first of the four events…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Clarify whether in-sprint change is OK, or verboten - and effect on acceptance criteria

Guide says that "Sprint Goal gives the Development Team SOME FLEXIBILITY regarding the functionality implemented within the Sprint" and "if the work turns out to be different than the Development Team expected, they collaborate with the Product Owner to negotiate the scope of Sprint Backlog within the Sprint."

This change seems pretty significant but wasn’t addressed in the webinar or summaries of the 2017 guide changes. It seems a reversal of traditional guidance to minimize or eliminate changes to functionality during the sprint, to expose improvement areas and encourage transparency.

Also, does the “work” –refer to tasks, or the actual…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base