General

User Voice

The Scrum Guide is a community website, created and maintained by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber. Via this User Voice forum, you may propose changes to the website, the Scrum Guide itself, or engage in discussion about suggestions others have made. This User Voice is read and supported by the Scrum Guide creators.

Periodic reviews of these suggestions inform the product backlog for the Scrum Guide, but final decisions on changes and functionality are Ken and Jeff's.

User Voice is read-only while new Scrum Guide is under development

User Voice is in read-only mode while Jeff and Ken create the next release, based on your suggestions in the User Voice, input from the overall Scrum community, and to meet advanced applications of Scrum that are either being made or have been requested.

1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hold  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The PO can do the above work or have the Team do it... Seems an excuse for the PO to do nothing, even if he/she remains accountable.

The PO can ask the Team to help him/her to do the above things. How can you manage your backlog if you're allowed no not even touch it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Prescribe a productivity model that is not just Velocity or Story Point based but focused on timely delivery of tasks *within* the Sprint.

That is, give priirity to delivering tasks as per estimate over tasks delivered per Sprint as measure of high productivity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

hold  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. change the name and content of the "Sprint Backlog" as it is not the same sort of thing as the "Product Backlog"

As someone new to Scrum I find the naming of the Sprint Backlog is very confusing.

Comparing it to the Product Backlog, I initially expected it to consist of a list of Sprint Backlog items: i.e. Product Backlog Items which were to be "done" during the Sprint.

However it also contains the plan for delivering the Product Increment and realising the Sprint Goal. This does not seem to be reflected in the word "Backlog" at all.

There is also the SPRINT GOAL which is an important part of the Sprint, but is NOT included in the Sprint Backlog. In fact…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. clarify/remove "Monitoring Progress Toward a Goal" (page 14 - Scrum Artifacts)

This is obviously an important function of a Project Manager (or Product Owner?), however it does not sit well here.

Goal (as used here) is not a Scrum artifact.

This is obviously not the Sprint Goal as it is only tracked at the Sprint Review. In fact, having goals within Scrum which are longer than a Sprint seems to work against the Agile nature of the development. At the beginning of each Sprint you look at what the market and technological conditions are and what you want to achieve.

Longer term goals should be defined by the stakeholders and, if…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Concept of "The Sprint"

Questionable in the ScrumGuide.

I am not sure when Jeff & Ken decided "The Sprint" would include all meetings. Maybe when you decided sprints (iterations) should run back to back? Remember those discussions and my first sprints as a Scrum Master had gaps between sprints where we would work on the Product Backlog and get PBI's "Ready".

However, when I hear your talks, read articles, read the ScrumGuide, there is plenty of hints that the Sprint is after sprint planning and before sprint review.

Sprint planning: As the words say you plan the work for the sprint. How can you…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Call out the Scrum rules

"This Guide contains the definition of Scrum. This definition consists of Scrum’s roles, events, artifacts, and the *rules* that bind them together."

Roles, events, and artifacts are explicitly identified in the Scrum Guide, but the "rules" are not. Is any paragraph in the Scrum Guide containing words like "must", "only", "no one", "not allowed" a rule?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Review paragraph on Inspection (page 4)

" Scrum users must frequently inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal to detect undesirable variances. Their inspection should not be so frequent that inspection gets in the way of the work. Inspections are most beneficial when diligently performed by skilled inspectors at the point of work."

(1) Who are the Scrum *users*? This isn't defined in the guide. This is the only occurrence of the word "users" in the Scrum Guide. Shouldn't be changed to Scrum Teams?

(2) "inspect Scrum artifacts and progress toward a Sprint Goal..." seems insufficient. How about processes, practices, interactions, etc? Shouldn't be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix apparent typo on page 8

It says: "Sprints enable predictability by ensuring inspection and adaptation of progress toward a *Sprint Goal* at least every *calendar month*."

inspection and adaptation toward a Sprint Goal happens every day during the Daily Scrum. I guess the intent was to reference a longer-term *goal* (e.g., release), not the Sprint Goal.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove process discussion from Sprint Review

The Scrum Guide contains a long list of topics that should be addressed in the Sprint Review. One of them is: "The Development Team discusses what went well during the Sprint what problems it ran into, and how those problems were solved". This should be done in the Retrospective.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. implementing scrum

Implementing and practising scrum in an organisation that breathes and lives traditional methodologies (PRINCE etc) - this cannot be done with the ongoing blessing of the 'Management' - Managers, Directors etc.

For a successful SCRUM implementation and practice, I suggest that scrum guide includes a dedicated chapter for this to clearly make a statement about the needed powers and influence to be bestowed upon the scrum master and product owner, how this can/should be done, when and how frequently this should be reinforced...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Goal? to the first sentence (a.), it is a typo.

a.What did I do yesterday that helped the Development Team meet the Sprint
    b.What will I do today to help the Development Team meet the Sprint Goal?
    c.Do I see any impediment that prevents me or the Development Team from meeting the Sprint Goal?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Change scrum master task from enforcing task to supporting task

Described in "Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner":

The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
    * Finding techniques for effective Product Backlog management;

Can be changed to:
    The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
    * Helping the product owner find techniques for effective Product Backlog management;

This small change makes the task a supporting task.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dear Sir/Mam Greetings!! Hope you are doing great!!  I have 9+ Year Experience Designing in eBook CreateSpace/ePub/Kindle Mobi/Fixed Lay

Dear Sir/Mam

Greetings!! Hope you are doing great!!

 I have 9+ Year Experience Designing in eBook CreateSpace/ePub/Kindle Mobi/Fixed Layout Conversion.
     I can deliver good product on time. I can work from any Kind of source (Microsoft Word, PDF, InDesign, Quark, Pagemaker, etc).
     I always test files in iPad/Kindle/Nook before sending. I can deliver project on time with quality and till now we have done 5000+ ebook.
     I also do it Amazon Kindle MOBI eBook Project, I will give you this format files.

* Mobi Kindle for (KDP Amazon) --- Final file will be tested on iPad/KindleFire…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Adjust the ToC in the online version of the Scrum Guide (UI-bug)

UI-Bug: In Firexox (48.0.1) and Chrome ( 53.0.2785.116) the left menu is not 'sticky enough'.

To reproduce: scroll down to the end of the document.

Current behavior: the ToC doesn't stay within the left menu box.

Expected behavior: the ToC stays within the left menu box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make clear that Scrum promotes a sustainable development

The iterations in Scrum are named "Sprints". I think this can lead to the false assumption that the developers are supposed to work as fast as they can and exhaust themselves during a sprint.
    In real life, when I'm doing a "sprint", I'm normally running as fast as I can. This is okay for a single sprint, but doing this for a couple of sprints it would lead to my physical breakdown very fast.

Maybe you can add something like this:
    "In a sprint the development team works with a pace that they can sustain indefinitely over multiple sprints."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Small clarification regarding to "Product Backlog"

In the "The Scrum Team" chapter, in the "The Product Owner" sub-chapter we can read: "The Product Owner is the sole person responsible for managing the Product Backlog <...>"

But the definition of the "Product Backlog" comes much later.

I would suggest to add some note in brackets like: "(see the "Scrum Artifacts" chapter)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add an explicit WIP limit to a sprint

Multitasking kills productivity and in some bad cases causes a mini waterfall in a Sprint. The best Scrum teams know they should limit the amount of stories they work on at one time. Many teams don't explicitly understand this. I propose adding an explicit WIP limit to help flow in a sprint.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bring back the "Commitment" for Sprint Planning Topic 1, or at least after SP Topic 2.

Forecasting is not strong enough for the creation of a plan for a Sprint. Commitment is one of the Scrum values, so it would be good to see this rather enthusiatic drive to complete a Sprint as the forecast suggests, to everybody's best knowledge and abilities, again. It was a big difference psychologically in recent Scrum Guides, and was well accepted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Put http://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html on GitHub to allow proper discussion

I suggest moving the scrum guide to a format like Markdown, and to put that text and human friendly format into GitHub or Bitbucket. Then we can actually send proper pull requests, have those reviewed and discussed _with context_.
    In this User Voice forum, there is no context and it's hard to reason about the actual suggestion that people make.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base